PRACTICE TEST 02
By far the most important United States foreign trade product inside the eighteenth and nineteenth generations was organic cotton, favored by the European linen industry more than flax or wool because it was simple to process and soft to tile touch. Mechanization of spinning Collection and weaving allowed significant centralization and expansion in the textile market during (5) this period, as well as the demand intended for cotton increased dramatically. American producers could actually meet this demand mainly because of tile invention from the cotton wacholderbranntwein by Eli Whitney in 1793. Organic cotton could be produced throughout the Southern region, but separating the dietary fiber – or perhaps lint – from the seedling was a mind-numbing process. Ocean island silk cotton was relatively easy to procedure by hand, since its materials were extended and seed products were targeted at the (10) base with the flower, but it demanded a good growing period, available only along the nation's eastern seacoast. Short-staple natural cotton required a far shorter developing season, nevertheless the shortness from the fibers and their mixture with seeds resulted in a staff member could hand-process only about 1 pound every day. Whitney's wacholderbranntwein was a hand-powered machine with revolving drums and metal teeth to cotton fibres away from seed products. Using the gin, (15) a worker can produce up to 50 pounds of soot a day. The later development of larger gins, powered by simply horses, drinking water, or heavy steam, multiplied productivity further.
The connection of increased processing and high demand resulted in the speedy spread in the cultivation of cotton also to a surge in production. It probably is the main American export, dwarfing all others. In 1802, silk cotton composed 14 percent of total American (20) export products by benefit. Cotton had a 36 percent share by simply 1810 and over a 50 % share in 1830. In 1860, 61 percent from the value of American exports was represented simply by cotton. As opposed, wheat and wheat flour composed simply 6 percent of the value of American export products in that 12 months. Clearly, natural cotton was full in the operate of the young republic. The growing industry for silk cotton and other American agricultural products led to a great (25) unmatched expansion of agricultural negotiation, mostly in the eastern half the United States---west of the Appalachian Mountains and east in the Mississippi Water.
1 . The main point of the passing is that the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were a time when (A) the European linen industry elevated its with regard to American foreign trade products (B) mechanization of spinning and weaving drastically changed the textile market (C) organic cotton became a profitable plants but was continue to time-consuming to process (D) cotton became the most important American export merchandise
2 . The term " favored" in line a couple of is best in which means to
(A) preferred(B) recommended(C) imported(D) included
3. All of the following happen to be mentioned inside the passage as reasons for the increased with regard to cotton EXCEPT (A) cotton's softness(B) cotton's ease of processing(C) a shortage of flax and wool (D) the growth that occurred in the textile sector.
4. The term " laborious" in line almost 8 is nearest in that means to
(A) unfamiliar(B) primitive(C) skilled(D) hard
5. In line with the passage, one particular advantage of sea island organic cotton was its (A) plethora of seeds(B) long fibers
(C) long developing season(D) adaptability to different environments 6. Which in turn of the subsequent can be inferred from the passing about organic cotton production in the us after the intro of Whitney's cotton wacholderbranntwein? (A) Even more cotton came from sea isle cotton vegetation than before. (B) More organic cotton came from short-staple cotton plant life than before. (C) Most natural cotton produced was sold locally.
(D) Many cotton created was exported to Britain.
7. The term " surge" in line 18 is nearest in meaning to
(A) sharp increase(B) sudden stop(C) important change(D) excess volume
8. Mcdougal mentions " wheat and wheat flour" in line twenty-two in...